Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sharon: "I'm sure you must be really busy"

Well, actually, no. Everyone who has called in the last 24 hours starts out with some variation on that theme. But what was I doing when I got up at 5:00 this morning? I was finishing Harry Potter, not packing. Thanks to anal list-making that would make Dad positively weep with pride, I am so organized that I'm bored. The day is DRAGGING on, as we wait for the time when we can do last-minute things like empty the fridge or pack the clothes that are in the laundry.

The kids can sense that something is different--and Liam is old enough to kind of get it--but all in all, it's been a pretty ordinary day so far. Jules is showing signs of being sick, which sends shudders down my spine. He's been sick for almost every flight we've taken with him, and even under the best conditions, he's not the kind of personality to be happy sitting still on a plane. Thinking of flights with Jules calls to mind our trip to California in June, when he threw up all over Max about 30 minutes into it, covering Max from chin to waist. Max had to duck into the bathroom, wash his shirt in the tiny little sink, and put it BACK ON.

Anyway, next post from the jungles of Costa Rica. For those of you who haven't been there, here's what Frommer's has to say about the town we're going to:

Frommer's Montezuma Intro

"Booming"?! So hard to imagine, considering that when I lived there in '94, they had only had electricity for about 10 years, and to make a phone call, you still had to go through the town operator. It's also accessible only by about 90 minutes of dirt roads (after taking a ferry to the peninsula). I do wonder, though, how much the town has grown up.

No comments: